SPICY Jalapeño Relish
- 1 kg of cucumbers, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 jalapeños, julienned
- 27g of salt
- 2-3L of cold water
- 300g of sugar
- 475ml of cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of mustard seeds
- teaspoons of celery seeds
1) Layer the cucumbers, carrots, onions, bell pepper, jalapeños and salt in a bowl, then add enough water to completely coat the vegetables and let them rest for 2 hours at room temperature.
2) Drain the vegetables in a fine mesh colander, making sure to dry the excess liquid well.
3) In a saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds and celery seeds. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, until the sugar has completely dissolved.
4) When the syrup has formed, add the drained vegetables and bring them to boil again. Cook over low heat and mix slowly for 10 minutes (even if it looks a little watery, the mixture will be ready). Pack the hot mixture in perfectly clean jars and make sure to seal them well, leaving no more than a couple of inches of free space and removing air bubbles from the dressing.
5) Keep it in the refrigerator and use it whenever you want for hot dogs or sandwiches.